Friday, October 16, 2009

Tis the Season for Soup!

Fall is my favorite season! There are so many reasons that Fall is better than all the other seasons! Leaves changing, pumpkins, apple crisp, football season, and of course cooler temperatures. And with cooler temperatures, comes the need for some good fall food. My favorite is soup! I love soup. I think I could probably eat it every day!! I have a goal this year to try to make homemade soup one time each week. I admit, I haven't actually started working towards this goal yet...maybe next week! ;)

I wanted to share with you one of my favorite soup cookbooks. It is called "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup" by Paulette Mitchell. I happen to be an ova-lacto vegetarian, so this book, which is filled with vegetarian recipes, is perfect for me. My husband also happens to be allergic to dairy, so I appreciate that the recipes are often offered with "vegan option" which omits certain ingredients. And if you are a meat-eater, well, I'm sure it would be super easy to add some chicken or beef broth and meat to your soup! I have tried about eight different soups in this book so far, and each one has been better than the next!


Here is an easy recipe that I have tried and enjoyed. I would LOVE to hear any of your sources of great soup recipes! Feel free to leave some links!! ;)

Arborio Rice Soup

1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 celery stalk with leaves, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2.5 coups (6 ounces) sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup Arborio rice
1 tsp mince fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed)
4 cups vegetable stock
1 16 ounce acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
1 tsp thin strips lemon zest
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Very thin slices of pecorino Romano cheese for garnish

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and leaves and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; continue to cook stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the rice and rosemary; stir until coated with oil. Add the vegetable stock, squash, and lemon zest strips. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice and squash are tender, about 12 minutes.

Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste. Serve topped with cheese.

5 comments:

Julie said...

ooooh yummy tfs em!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

I love soup at this time of the year! Looks like a great book and recipe!

pickmepam said...

i also love soup, and this sounds divine!

borcherding said...

Ditto on the SOUP Love!!!

jamie said...

we make soup at least oncea week this time of year. great post, trish!