Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The West Side Market

Last Friday, our children had the day off from school. I took the opportunity to take them to the West Side Market in Cleveland. A little over a month ago, there was a fire inside the century old structure, putting many of the vendors there in a pinch. Their businesses took a major hit, and the reopening was rushed because of the financial hardship it posed to many of the independent businesses.
We waited a week or so, avoiding the crowds (or so we thought), and wanted to support them.
It's a beautiful place.  I have a personal fondness for it, knowing that it was where my great-grandparents shopped for groceries.  My grandparents and my parents also went there to purchase their weekly goods.  I remember going there in a wagon as a child with my mom.

We picked my husband up from his job downtown, and treated him to lunch, too.  The kids were so excited...
They don't make places like this anymore.  Family businesses that have been there for 40+ years, making homemade food that is passed down from generation to generation.
We came home with all sorts of goodies.  Meat, breads, cheese, fruits and veggies, cookies, popcorn...

Nice day out.  If you get a chance and you're local to this area, take some time out to visit and shop, won't you?  It really is an experience that won't soon be forgotten.

Enjoy your day!!

No comments: